- Glass or ceramic kitchen canisters
- Spray paint
- Drop cloth
- Rubbing alcohol
- Adhesive stencil
- Spouncer sponge brush
- Multi-surface chalkboard paint
1. Choose your canisters. You can look for a new set that you like or update an old bunch. For the purposes of this tutorial, we used an old set to upcycle.
2. If there is an existing design on your canister, use a lightweight sandpaper to gently remove it. Wash and clean your canister with soap and water. Dry it with a clean cloth.
3. Place your canisters upside down on a drop cloth in a well-ventilated area, and paint them with spray paint in the color of your choice. Allow them to dry in between coats. We applied two coats.
4. Once your newly painted canisters are completely dry, wipe them with rubbing alcohol and allow them to dry for approximately 15 minutes. Next, position the adhesive stencil on top. It helps to place a dish towel under the canister to protect it from the hard surface of your workspace.
5. Using a Spouncer sponge brush, apply the chalkboard paint in an up-and-down motion. Two coats will work best.
6. Carefully remove the stencil. Bubbles may surface, however, they will disappear as the chalkboard paint dries.
7. Once the chalkboard paint dries, use chalk to label your canisters. Waiting a full 24 hours is ideal.
Chalkboard paint can be used on several types of surfaces including glass, ceramic, wood, tin, plastic and even fabric. It comes in a variety of colors, as well. Consider updating home decor accents such as trays, mirrors or frames, or use it for outdoor projects like creating labels for garden herbs or vegetables. The possibilities of decorating with chalkboard paint are endless!